Ellsworth Police Department
The City of Ellsworth Police Department seeks an enthusiastic professional to serve as Patrol Sergeant. This is a lateral transfer position and the Patrol Sergeant is responsible for the direction and control of a police shift including supervision of officers, responding to all serious incidents and keeping administration up to date. Assignments are received from the Chief of Police, Deputy Chief of Police and Captain and are carried out in accordance with established policy, rules and procedures, but with allowance for the exercise of discretion in meeting the demands of specific situations. The Patrol Sergeant exercises general supervision over police patrol, corporals, and other staff as assigned by the Chief of Police. In addition to standard duties illustrated below, a Sergeant may be assigned areas of special responsibility.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Pans, assigns, supervises and evaluates the work of subordinate officers, ensuring that duties are carried out according to department rules and regulations.
2. Supervises and participates in the searching and booking of persons arrested; ensures proper booking, photographing, and interrogation.
3. Reviews and approves reports submitted by subordinate officers for accuracy and completeness.
4. Ensures proper treatment and maintenance of department property and equipment during an assigned shift.
5. Performs patrol functions and advises subordinate officers, as necessary, in handling specific situations or on matters pertaining to legal procedures.
6. Reviews investigations of incidents prior to turning cases over to the Captain for distribution to a Detective.
7. May assume responsibility for various departmental functions assigned by the Chief of Police or his designee.
• Candidates must have a minimum of 5-years of full time law enforcement experience.
• Must have considerable knowledge of applicable laws, city ordinances, department SOP and extensive knowledge of the City of Ellsworth geography or be able to learn.
• Must have the ability to train and supervise subordinate personnel; Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, peers, supervisors and the general public; Ability to exercise sound judgement in evaluating situation and making decision; Ability to follow and give verbal and written instruction.
• The Ellsworth Police Department is a proactive, professional department dedicated to the Core Values of Integrity, Professionalism and Community Service. We pride ourselves on providing high quality community focused police services.
The City of Ellsworth offers a competitive salary and an exceptional benefit package. The salary is dependent on years of service, training and/or experience.
Any questions about the job posting can be sent to Captain Willey: email@example.com
The City of Ellsworth is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job please visit www.ellsworthmaine.gov.