City of Ellsworth Fire Department
Volunteer Recruitment and Retention Coordinator (VRRC)
Note: Though this position is for employment with the City of Ellsworth, Ellsworth Fire Department, the position is temporary, part-time (32 hours), is a federally funded grant position (4 years), and may be subject to further requirements due to federal funding.
The member departments of Dedham, Ellsworth, Hancock, Lamoine, Mariaville, Orland and Trenton came together in 2021 to develop a mission is to represent, coordinate and support the member departments fire, rescue, EMS volunteers in central Hancock County, Maine. The member departments protect approximately 19,000 citizens in the region with predominantly all volunteer or combination departments.
The Volunteer Recruitment and Retention Coordinator (VRRC) develops, implements, leads and manages, plans projects, and programs designed to raise the visibility as well as to increase the number of volunteers for the 7 local fire and rescue departments in our combination and mostly volunteer system. The recruiter shall work to raise visibility among the public, students, businesses, community organizations, funders, and other stakeholders.
The expected outcomes of activities executed by the VRRC will be to recruit volunteers for membership and training as firefighters and emergency medical services providers throughout the seven affiliated departments. This position reports to the Fire Chief for the City of Ellsworth and works directly with the Recruitment & Retention Committee (R&R).
Basic Position Responsibilities:
- Recruit volunteers to meet the needs of the seven affiliated combination and volunteer fire and rescue departments;
- Identify potential sources of volunteers and implement strategies to reach all communities;
- Actively schedule and conduct recruitment presentations in schools, and community groups;
- Continually update and enhance recruitment presentations and materials; Update and enhance social media channels to serve as a resource for program participants and to communicate with the public for review and approval;
- Draft and disseminate press releases and public service announcements to support recruitment efforts and visibility;
- Help to design and produce events that will elevate the volunteers’ profile in the community;
- Conduct regular follow-ups with applicants, members;
- Recruit, train, and manage student and community interns at recruiting station;
- Prepare Semi-Annual SAFER reports, statistics, and data for inclusion in federally required reports;
- Maintain records and prepare monthly reports to the R & R Committee;
- Attend monthly member department meetings and R&R committee meetings as needed;
- Schedule, prepare, and staff school career events;
- May be required to participate in fire ground activities to included fire suppression or rescue;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Recruitment and retention employment with substantiated experience and minimum of Associate’s or higher degree in a related field and/or equivalent experience. Consideration will be given to those who have over 30 credit hours and are currently taking courses with completions of a degree within 12 months of employment.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must have a clean criminal history.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment physical.
- IFSAC/ProBoard/ Fire Fighter 1 & 2, National Registered EMT certified and experienced emergency provider preferred;
- Experience and knowledge in the volunteer fire-rescue service
- Strong working experience with volunteer and combination Fire/EMS in rural and or suburban environment(s). 3-5 years minimum preferred.
- Competency with computer hardware, computer software, telephones, cameras, video recording equipment, and equipment typical to office and classroom
- Ability to work independently and possess strong time management skills;
- Must possess competency with website management, social networking, and database management.
- Be willing to commute regularly throughout central Hancock County area.
- Strong writing and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in basic office software (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and basic database skills.
Additional Desired Qualifications
- Previous work experience in recruitment, sales, marketing, or communications.
- Recruitment and retention employment with substantiated experience and successes in effective volunteer recruitment and retention activities highly desirable.
- Comfort and ability in speaking to small and large diverse audiences of differing ages.
- Experience in document layout and design, and web editing, and/or willingness to learn.
- Ability to organize information graphically for presentations and publications.
- Strong information and resource gathering skills.
- Event planning experience is desired, but not essential.
- Media relations experience is desired, but not essential.
- Experience networking with organizations in business and community.
- Ability to work under stressful situations.
- Work within established deadlines.
Volunteer Recruitment and Retention Coordinator (VRRC) position is an at will position within the City of Ellsworth, which dictates that the employment and compensation for this position may be terminated at any time.
The Volunteer Recruitment and Retention Coordinator (VRRC) will be paid in accordance with the grant management package. The starting salary is commensurate with experience. (Salary Range $30,000 – 40,000).
The schedule can be flexible, but must coincide with the needs of the grant and recruitment needs of our departments. This position is a daytime position no more than 32 hours per week. It will require nights and weekends based on the needs of the project and will be agreed upon by the Fire Chief and successful applicant. Primary worksite is located at 1 City Hall Plaza, Ellsworth, Maine with travel to the affiliated departments throughout central Hancock County, Maine on a rotating schedule.
The Selection Process:
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to the address listed below. All materials must be submitted by 5:00 PM on October 13, 2023
Please return cover letter and resume to Fire Chief Scott Guillerault at email@example.com Subject VRCC Application and Resume.
City of Ellsworth online application must also be submitted via Apply Online – City of Ellsworth.
Questions, contact Chief Scott Guillerault at 207-667-8666
To apply for this job please visit www.ellsworthmaine.gov.