ELLSWORTH CITY COUNCIL
REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING NOTICE
AUGUST 17, 2020
In accordance with An Act To implement Provisions Necessary to the Health, Welfare and Safety of the Citizens of Maine in Response to the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency, as enacted to read: Sec G-1 1 MRSA §403-A Public proceedings through remote access during declaration of State of Emergency due to COVID-19, the meeting will be held live at 1 City Hall Plaza in the City Hall Council Chambers with only the allowable number of participants according to the Governor’s executive orders. Citizens may email questions and public comments on the public hearing agenda items as well as other items this evening to Chair Dale Hamilton at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to and throughout the duration of the meeting. The meeting will be broadcast live on the City of Ellsworth, Maine Facebook page and YouTube Page; as well as recorded and made available live on Spectrum Channel 1303.
1. Call to Order.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
3. Rules of Order.
4. Adoption of minutes from the following meeting (s) of the Ellsworth City Council:
- 07/20/2020 Regular Monthly Meeting.
5. City Manager’s Report.
6. Committee Reports.
7. Citizens’ Comments.
8. Presentation of Awards.
- Abby Morrow, for ten years of service with the Ellsworth Public Library.
CONSENT AGENDA: All items with an asterisk (*) are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless a Council member so requests, in which event, the item will be removed from the Consent Agenda and considered in its normal sequence on the Agenda.
9. Council Order #082000, Request of the Tax Collector/Deputy Treasurer to initiate civil actions in the name of the City of Ellsworth for the purpose of collecting delinquent personal property taxes. *
10. Council Order #082001, Request of the Planning Board to promote Nelson Geel from an alternate member on the Ellsworth Planning Board to a full Board member with a term to expire of 06/30/2022. *
11. Council Order #082002, Request of the Planning Board to appoint Molly Friedland as an alternate member of the Ellsworth Planning Board with a term to expire of 06/30/2021. *
12. Council Order #082003, Request of the Ellsworth Planning Board to accept a resignation letter from David Burks with a term to expire on June 30, 2025. *
13. Council Order #082004, Request of the Planning Board to promote Marc Rich from an alternate member on the Ellsworth Planning Board to a full Board member with a term to expire of 06/30/2025. *
14. Council Order #082005, Request of the Planning Board to appoint Patrick Lyons as an alternate member of the Ellsworth Planning Board with a term to expire of 06/30/2022. *
15. Council Order #082006, Request of the Harbor Commission to accept a resignation letter from Steve Henry with a term to expire on June 30, 2023. *
16. Council Order #082007, Request of the Housing Authority to appoint Jodi Abbott to the City of Ellsworth Housing Authority Board as a Tenant Representative with a term to expire of 09/01/2024. *
17. Council Order #082008, Request of the Historic Preservation Commission to appoint Thomas Clark as a member with a term to expire on June 30, 2022. *
- 18. Public hearing and action on the application for the following licenses:
Hailee Carter d/b/a The Crafty Baker, 56 Deane Street, for a new City Class C (Victualer and BYOB Liquor only) License.
- Margs Mex Ellsworth, LLC d/b/a Margaritas Ellsworth, 191 Main Street, for a new City Class B License (Amusement, Liquor, Victualer) and a new State Class A Restaurant/Lounge Malt Liquor, Wine, Spirits (Class XI) Liquor License.
- LIL MAKZ, LLC d/b/a Hidden Vibes Taproom, 59 Franklin Street Suite 2B, for renewal of a City Class B License (Victualer, Alcohol, and Amusement) and renewal of a State Class A Lounge Malt, Spirituous, and Vinous (Class X) Liquor License.
- Daniel C. Potts d/b/a Lakeside Cedar Cabins, 397 Mariaville Road, for renewal of a City Lodging License.
- AARGH Inc., d/b/a Pat’s Pizza, 396 High Street, for renewal of a City Class C License (Victualer and Liquor) and renewal of a State Restaurant (Class I, II, III, IV) Malt, Spirituous, and Vinous Liquor License.
- Melanie Omlor-Fox d/b/a Helen’s Restaurant of Ellsworth, 55 Downeast Highway, for renewal of a City Class C License (Victualer and Alcohol) and renewal of a State Restaurant Malt, Spirituous and Vinous (Class I, II, III, IV) Liquor License.
19. Presentation of the Annual Update by Catherine Longley, Chief Operating Officer for the Jackson Laboratory. (Sponsored by Chair Hamilton)
20. Council Order #082009, Request of the Public Works Director to accept the Mineral Screening Bid.
21. Council Order #082010, Request of the Public Works Director to accept the Winter Salt Bid.
22. Council Order #082011, Request of the Public Works Director to purchase a bulk quantity of road culverts.
23. Council Order #082012, Request of the Facilities Manager to approve a contract for Knowlton Park Mowing and Grounds Maintenance Services.
24. Council Order #082013, Request of the Police Chief to award a bid for (2) two new 2021 police cruisers, and authorize the City Manager to sign all necessary agreements.
25. Council Order #082014, Discussion and action on the request of the Public Safety Planning Committee concerning the role of Emergency Medical Services within the Ellsworth Fire Department.
26. Council Order #082015, Request of the Fire Chief to accept a revised agreement with the County of Hancock for providing Fletchers Landing Township fire protection, Emergency Medical Services Basic Level Non-Transport, and other emergency services.
27. Council Order #082016, Request of the Development Services Director to accept the Keep Maine Healthy Grant in the amount of $59,400.
28. Council Order #082017, Discussion and action on the concept and development of the Spirit of America Award. (Sponsored by Chair Hamilton)
29. Council Order #082018, Discussion and action on creating a rainbow crosswalk within the City of Ellsworth. (Sponsored by Chair Hamilton)
30. Council Order #082019, Discussion and action on the creation of a committee to support funding the Library and appointment of Councilors to that Committee. (Sponsored by Chair Hamilton)
31. Executive session to discuss personnel matters in accordance with MRSA Title 1, Chapter 13, Section 405, Paragraph 6A.