FRENCHMAN BAY REGIONAL SHELLFISH PROGRAM
RE: FRENCHMAN BAY CLAM DIGGERS MEETING
Discuss a 3 bushel/6 x 5 gallon bucket limit for clams per tide this winter at the Hancock Sullivan Bridge area.
1. To help conserve the resource, as stated in our Mission Statement, without it being dug up in a few weeks
2. The resource is for all of us. Give all of us an opportunity to get a decent paycheck for Christmas and have the opportunity to have a good place to dig through the winter.
3. Allow the area to be an available opportunity for everyone especially on bad weather days when digging other places is not a good option
4. Limit harvest in this area, especially given the easy access there, to avoid the place being dug up in a month by folks just digging all they can.
5. The program is for all of us. Other winter areas open at the same time. It will be possible, for those that wish to to dig a tide on the outside then go to the bridge to dig 1/2 a tide.
6. There are those that will plan to dig every day, bank to bank, until the resource is gone.
7. Other areas are open without restriction. The Bridge area will be a good backup place for all of us, not just a boom then bust.
MEETING TIME AND PLACE
September 7, 2019 6:30 pm Lamoine Town Office
FBRSP Mission Statement: These communities shall act collaboratively as stewards to preserve, protect, manage and enhance the shellfish resources and ecological well-being of the Greater Frenchman Bay Region and to ensure a sustainable harvest of shellfish and opportunity for those who make their living on the tide.