The Ellsworth Code Enforcement Office ensures compliance with codes regarding new construction, land use regulations and the maintenance of structures and premises.
- Meet Us
How do I know if I need a permit?
Depending on the project you are undertaking, permit may be required. The following activity may trigger the need for a permit, prior to the commencement of your project:
- Internal Plumbing
- Road Opening
- Changing the use of a property and/or structure (Site Development)
- Demolition and/or removal
- Public Sewer or Subsurface Wastewater
- Shoreland Zoning
- DEP Permit-by-Rule
- Business License
How do I know how much permit fees are?
To find out permit fees, refer to the Permit Fee Schedule.
Where can I find the Maine Uniform Building and Energy Code?
The Maine Uniform Building and Energy Code is available on the Maine Department of Public Safety, Bureau of Building Codes & Standards website.
What are the city hall office hours?
Ellsworth City Hall office hours are Monday thru Friday – 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Ellsworth City Hall is closed for the following holidays:
- New Year’s Day January 1
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day 3rd Monday in January
- President’s Day 3rd Monday In February
- Memorial Day Last Monday in May
- Independence Day July 4
- Labor Day First Monday in September
- Columbus Day Second Monday in October
- Veteran’s Day November 11
- Thanksgiving 4th Thursday & Friday in November
- Christmas December 25
A holiday that falls on a Saturday will be observed on the preceding Friday.
A holiday that falls on a Sunday will be observed on the following Monday.