ELLSWORTH CITY COUNCIL
REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING NOTICE
JUNE 15, 2020
In accordance with An Act To implement Provisions Necessary to the Health, Welfare and Safety of the Citizens of Maine in Response to the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency, as enacted to read: Sec G-1 1 MRSA §403-A Public proceedings through remote access during declaration of State of Emergency due to COVID-19, the meeting will be held live at 1 City Hall Plaza in the City Hall Council Chambers with only the City Council, City Manager, and the allowable number of participants allowed according to the Governor’s executive order present. Citizens may email questions and public comments on the public hearing agenda items as well as other items this evening to Chair Dale Hamilton at email@example.com prior to and throughout the duration of the meeting. The meeting will be broadcast live on the City of Ellsworth, Maine Facebook page and YouTube Page; as well as recorded and made available live on Spectrum Channel 1303.
1. Call to Order.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
3. Rules of Order.
4. Adoption of the Ellsworth City Council minutes from the following meeting (s):
May 18, 2020 Regular Meeting.
5. City Manager’s Report.
6. Committee Reports.
7. Citizens’ Comments.
8. Presentation of Awards.
Troy Bires, for thirty years of service with the Ellsworth Police Department.
CONSENT AGENDA: All items with an asterisk (*) are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless a Council member so requests, in which event, the item will be removed from the Consent Agenda and considered in its normal sequence on the Agenda.
9. Council Order #062000, Request of the Deputy Treasurer/Tax Collector to set the real estate and personal property tax due dates at September 10, 2020 and March 11, 2021. *
10. Council Order #062001, Request of the Deputy Treasurer/Tax Collector for an Order of the Municipal Officers on the application of real estate and personal property tax payments. This order will allow for the Tax Collector and Treasurer to apply tax payments against the oldest unpaid tax bills. *
11. Public hearing and action on the application (s) for new or renewal for the following license (s):
• Pavida Visetrut Young d/b/a Thai Sana, 321 High Street, for renewal of a City Class C License (Liquor and Victualer) and renewal of a State Restaurant Malt and Vinous (Class III and IV) Liquor License.
• Luhrs Empire Inc. d/b/a DragonFire, 248 State Street, for renewal of a City Class B License (Victualer, Liquor, and Arcade < 12 devices) and renewal of a State Restaurant (Class III and IV) Malt and Vinous Liquor License.
• Brian Langley d/b/a Union River Lobster Pot, 8 South Street, for renewal of a City Class C License (Victualer and Liquor) and renewal of a State Restaurant (Class I, II, III, IV) Malt, Spirituous and Vinous Liquor License.
• Douglas J. Kiehm and Racheal E. Wallace d/b/a Homestead Motel and Cottages, 143 Bucksport Road, for renewal of a City Lodging License.
12. Public hearing and action on approving the establishment of the Oriole Senior Municipal Affordable Housing Development and Tax Increment Financing District Development Program.
13. Public hearing and action on Council Order #062002, the Ellsworth School Budget Resolutions for FY 2021.
a. Order Approving State/Local EPS Funding Allocation for Public Education from Kindergarten to Grade 12 for Ellsworth Schools for FY2021.
b. Order Approving Non-State Funded School Construction Debt Service For Ellsworth Schools For FY2021.
c. Order Raising And Appropriating Additional Local Funds For Ellsworth Schools For FY2021.
d. Order Approving Total School Operating Budget for Ellsworth Schools for FY2021.
e. Order Appropriating And Raising Funds For Adult Education For FY 2021 As Required By The Maine Revised Statues, Title 20-A M.R.S.A. §8603-A (1).
f. Order Raising Local Funds for Food Service in the Ellsworth Public Schools for FY2021.
g. Order Authorizing Expenditure of Grants and Other Receipts for School Department Programs.
h. Order Authorizing Disposition of Additional State Funding for Public Schools for FY2021 in the event of an increase.
14. Public hearing and action on the adoption of a continuing resolution to fund the city’s various departments and accounts in an amount sufficient to finance necessary expenses until a final budget resolve is in force.
15. Council Order #062003, Request of the Deputy Treasurer/Tax Collector to set the interest rate on overdue taxes.
16. Council Order #062004, Appointment of City Officials by the City Council.
17. Council Order #062005, Approval of City Manager’s appointments.
b. New appointments.
18. Public hearing and action on Council Order #062006: Authorization for Tax Anticipation Borrowing ($2,000,000).
19. Presentation on the local roads work plan and road work schedule for this season.
20. Discussion and update from the May 7, 2020 Public Safety Planning Committee meeting concerning the role of Emergency Medical Services within the Ellsworth Fire Department.
21. Executive Session to discuss labor negotiations between the City of Ellsworth and the Massachusetts and Northern New England Labor’s District Council on behalf of Local 327, Ellsworth Wastewater Treatment Plant Unit in accordance with MRSA Title 1, Chapter 13, Section 405, Paragraph 6D.
22. Council Order #062007, Action on discussion between the City of Ellsworth and the Massachusetts and Northern New England Labor’s District Council on behalf of Local 327, Ellsworth Wastewater Treatment Plant Unit.