The regular monthly meeting of the Ellsworth City Council will be held on Monday, February 13, 2023 at 6:00 PM in the Ellsworth City Hall Council Chambers
The meeting will be broadcast live on the City of Ellsworth, Maine Facebook page and YouTube Page; as well as recorded and made available live on Spectrum Channel 1303.
1. Call to Order.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
3. Rules of Order.
4. Adoption of Ellsworth City Council minutes:
- 12/07/2022 Special Council Meeting.
- 1/9/2023 Regular Council Meeting.
5. City Manager’s Report.
6. Committee Reports.
7. Citizens’ Comments.
8. Presentation of Awards.
• Special Promotion
Promotion of Firefighter Benjamin Freedman to the rank of Captain by Chief Guillerault, Deputy Chief Doug Belletete and members of Mr. Freedman’s family
• Edmund Murray for 30 of service at the Ellsworth Public Library
• Ellsworth Arbor Day Proclamation (Sponsored by Hamilton)
9. Continued discussion on 16 Fifth Street property at the request of the Tax Collector
A. Discussion and possible action to allow Kerry Karst to remove personal items from the property (O’Halloran)
CONSENT AGENDA: All items with an asterisk (*) are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless a Council member so requests, in which event, the item will be removed from the Consent Agenda and considered in its normal sequence on the Agenda.
10. Public hearing and action on the issuance of Business License (s):
• Atlantic Coast Inn, 200 High Street, for renewal of a City Lodging House License.
• ETC LLC, dba Dyons, 35 Eastward Lane for renewal of a City Class C and state liquor license
• Colonial Inn LLC, 321 High Street for renewal of a City Lodging House License.
• Ell Gov’s, LLC d/b/a Governor’s Restaurant, 253 High Street, for renewal of a City Class C License (Victualer/Liquor) and renewal of a State Restaurant (Class III and IV) Malt and Vinous Liquor License.
• Siam Sky LLC d/b/a Siam Sky 2, 78 Downeast Highway for renewal of a City Class C License (Liquor and Victualer) and renewal of a State Class III and IV Restaurant Malt and Vinous Liquor License.
• Sanjeeva Abeyasekera d/b/a Serendib, 2 State Street, for renewal of a City Class C License (Victualer/Liquor) and renewal of a State Restaurant (Class III and IV) Malt and Vinous Liquor License.
• GC Pizza Hut, LLC d/b/a Pizza Hut, 211 High Street, for renewal of a City Class C (Victualer and Liquor) License and renewal of a State Restaurant (Class IV) Malt Liquor License.
• The Grand, 165 Main Street, for renewal of a City Class B License (Victualer, Liquor, and Amusement) and renewal of a State Other (Auditorium/Theatre) Class III and IV Malt and Vinous Liquor License.
• Finellis of Maine LLC, dba Finelli’s, 12 Downeast Highway for renewal of a City Class C (Victualer and Liquor) License and renewal of a State Restaurant Class III and IV license.
• Casa Jalisco, 205 High Street for renewal of a City Class C license and renewal of State Restaurant Class I, II, III, IV) liquor license.
11. Council Order #021300 Request of the Harbor Commission to award a food vendor contract for the Harbor Park
12. Council Order #021302 Request of the Water Superintendent to accept bids for a new water department truck
13. Council Order #021303 Request of the Public Works Director to award the Christian Ridge Reconstruction project
14. Presentation, discussion, public comment and potential action on adopting a Community Resilience Partnership resolution.
15. Council Order #021304, Request of the Water Superintendent to have the High School water tank repaired.
16. Discussion and potential action on support of to Warm a Winter’s Night fundraiser (sponsored by Hanson)
17. Determination of where funding requests should go for social service vs. recreational (Sponsored by Hamilton)
18. Discussion and possible action on separating the City Manager/ Chief of Police into 2 positions held by 2 individual people at the end of the current contract in place that expires 01/16/2024. (Sponsored by O’Halloran)
19. Executive Session pursuant to 1 M.R.S.A §405 (6) A for Personnel Matters to conduct employee review.
Maine Revised Statutes allow bodies or agencies to hold private executive sessions under certain criteria. These types of private proceedings do not include any decision-making, motions, or final authority. They are discussion only. The purpose under the law for such proceeding related to personnel is to protect individuals’ reputation, right to privacy, employment conditions, evaluation, and other personnel related topics.
20. Councilor Comments