The regular monthly meeting of the Ellsworth City Council will be held on Monday, May 17, 2021 at 7:00 PM in the Ellsworth City Hall Council Chambers
New procedure for public participation in City Council meetings:
Meetings will be held in the City Hall Council Chambers at 1 City Hall Plaza with only the allowable number of participants based on maintaining social distancing guidelines. There will be additional seating available in the 2nd floor Auditorium for citizens; those wishing to make comments on an agenda item will have the opportunity to make those from that location through the use of technology. Emailed questions and public comments will no longer be read aloud throughout the meeting. Individuals are welcome to email councilors with their comments on any issue prior to or following the meeting. All public comments on agenda items will be made from City Hall during the meeting.
Meetings will continue to be broadcast live on the City of Ellsworth, Maine Facebook page and YouTube Page; as well as recorded and made available live on Spectrum Channel 1303.
1. Call to Order.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
3. Rules of Order.
4. Adoption of the Ellsworth City Council minutes from the following meetings:
- March 15, 2021 Regular Meeting. (Tabled at the 4/19/2021 Council meeting).
- April 19, 2021 Regular Meeting. (Request to table).
5. City Manager’s Report.
6. Committee Reports.
7. Citizens’ Comments.
8. Presentation of Awards.
- Cheryl Flanders, for 5 years of service to the Ellsworth Public Library.
- Recognition of KaTina Howes as the Director of the Year by the Maine Welfare Directors Association.
9. Council Order #122005, Discussion and action on EMS Services within the City of Ellsworth. (Tabled at the December 21, 2020, January 11, 2021, February 8, 2021, March 15, 2021, and April 19, 2021 Regular Council meetings).
10. Council Order #042108, Discussion and action on supporting the bike/pedestrian path extension project with local support through a future funding source. (Sponsored by Councilor Blanchette; tabled at the April 19, 2021 Regular Council meeting).
CONSENT AGENDA: All items with an asterisk (*) are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless a Council member so requests, in which event, the item will be removed from the Consent Agenda and considered in its normal sequence on the Agenda.
11. Council Order #052100, Request of the Recreation Commission to accept the resignation from Shane Lowell term to expire on June 30, 2021. *
12. Council Order #052101, Request of the Recreation Commission to appoint Daron Goldstein term to expire on June 30, 2022. *
13. Council Order #052102, Request to accept a donation of labor and materials for the installation of a footbridge on the walking path in the Shore Road vicinity. *
14. Council Order #052103, Request of the Library Board of Trustees to disband the Library Special Collections Committee. *
15. Public hearing and action on the issuance of Business License (s):
- Shinbashi Inc. d/b/a Shinbashi Restaurant, 139 High Street, for renewal of a City Class C License (Victualer and Liquor) and renewal of a State Restaurant (Class I, II, III, IV) Malt, Spirituous and Vinous Liquor License.
- Charles B. & Ariela L. Zucker d/b/a Twilite Motel, 147 Bucksport Road, for renewal of a City Lodging License.
- Manny’s Greek Grill, LLC, 248 State Street Suite N for renewal of a City Class C License (Liquor and Victualer) and renewal of a State Restaurant (Class III & IV) Malt and Vinous Liquor License.
- Brian Langley d/b/a Union River Lobster Pot, 8 South Street, for renewal of a City Class C License (Victualer and Liquor) and renewal of a State Restaurant (Class I, II, III, IV) Malt, Spirituous and Vinous Liquor License.
- Douglas J. Kiehm and Racheal E. Wallace d/b/a Homestead Motel and Cottages, 143 Bucksport Road, for renewal of a City Lodging License.
16. Council Order #052104, Appointment of Suzanne McLean as Tax Collector by the City Council and confirmation of the appointment as Deputy Treasurer.
17. Council Order #052105, Request of the Public Works Director to accept MPI Funds from MDOT for necessary work on the Christian Ridge Road and authorize the City Manager to sign the documents.
18. Council Order #052106, Request of the Public Works Director to accept a bid for the FY2021 paving projects.
19. Public hearing and action on Council Order #052107, the Ellsworth School Budget Resolutions for FY 2022.
a. Order Approving State/Local EPS Funding Allocation for Public Education from Kindergarten to Grade 12 for Ellsworth Schools for FY2022.
b. Order Approving Non-State Funded School Construction Debt Service For Ellsworth Schools For FY2022.
c. Order Raising And Appropriating Additional Local Funds For Ellsworth Schools For FY2022.
d. Order Approving Total School Operating Budget for Ellsworth Schools for FY2022.
e. Order Appropriating And Raising Funds For Adult Education For FY 2022 As Required By The Maine Revised Statues, Title 20-A M.R.S.A. §8603-A (1).
f. Order Raising Local Funds for Food Service in the Ellsworth Public Schools for FY2022.
g. Order Authorizing Expenditure of Grants and Other Receipts for School Department Programs.
h. Order Authorizing Disposition of Additional State Funding for Public Schools for FY2022 in the event of an increase.
20. Council Order #052108, Request of the Wastewater Superintendent to accept a quote for repairs to the aeration blower located at the Wastewater Treatment Plant.
21. Council Order #052109, Discussion and action on a proposal to change the start time of the Council meetings to 6:00 PM. (Sponsored by Chair Hamilton)
22. Council Order #052110, Discussion and potential action on Summer Use of Downtown Parking Spaces. (Sponsored by Chair Hamilton)
23. Council Order #052111, Request of the City Manager to confirm the appointment of Scott Guillerault as Fire Chief and Director- Emergency Management for the City of Ellsworth.